Sydney is a hub for business growth and technological developments. Hence, it is a hotspot for several employment opportunities. After all, Sydney contributes a quarter of Australia’s GDP being the financial capital. According to a website, administrative work is one of the most common occupations in the city. This year, the demand for administration jobs in Sydney has increased by 12.3 per cent.
When it comes to administrative jobs, you will find administrative assistants such as secretaries, receptionists, admins, office clerks, etc. They are the backbone of the business and work in every industry. Generally, they book conferences, prepare documents, answer telephone calls, organise files and manage bookkeeping tasks. So, if you consider becoming an administrative assistant, you will need to improve on the following skillsets.
- Time management: In every business and industry, it is crucial to develop time management skills. For instance, you might have an assigned task that must be done on a particular schedule. You must definitely be punctual about it. But what if you have to complete other tasks as well? Then, you must schedule your time and ensure all the tasks are completed within the set deadline. Effectively managing time and keeping a to-do list are essential for administrative assistants. Skilled employees improve their productivity by readjusting priorities and meeting deadlines.
- Ability to stay calm under pressure: Since admin assistants handle different priorities, some deadlines can put a lot of pressure on them. The other reason for an increase in pressure includes colleagues being off-sick. In such scenarios, they must learn to multi-task and prioritise. Most of all, they must have the ability to stay calm under pressure. Additionally, it is their responsibility to delegate work to junior staff.
- Well-adept in technology: It is crucial to have technological skills for an administrative assistant. After all, they will have to create reports for the company and handle team calendars. In addition to this, they will have to perform data entry. Hence, you must be familiar with Microsoft PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, Word, etc. It is the job of the administrative assistants to input data into different systems like virtual help desk and customer relationship management system (CRM). It means that you have to be knowledgeable about different browsers, operating systems, and software. With the help of technology and skills, you will be able to perform all of the tasks mentioned above perfectly.
- Problem-solving: Sometimes, you might come across a new challenge in your job. That’s when administrative assistants must have their problem-solving ability. When you encounter unforeseen obstacles at the workplace, you will have to effectively solve the issue. In a nutshell, you will have to think swiftly and creatively and be a lot more flexible. Plus, you mustn’t hesitate to ask for help and collaborate with your colleagues, which is also a part of being a stand-out problem solver. After all, various parts of problem-solving include resilience and discussion.
- Communication: Finding administration jobs in Sydney, such as an administrative assistant, also depends upon your communication skills. After all, writing emails and memos is part of written communication skills. Minutes after meetings also need strong written skills. It is all about how you interact with your customers and employees when it comes to verbal communication skills. That’s where an administrative assistant can strongly display their verbal skills.
Negotiation: Negotiation is also considered a top skill for an administration job. As an administrative assistant, you will need to manage other people’s expectations. If you aren’t able to meet a particular deadline, you must negotiate with your colleague confidently and professionally. Additionally, if you won’t be able to achieve a specific request made by the customer, you will have to communicate assertively and professionally.