Wedding rings are designed in different styles and metals. You can also get wedding rings in different gemstones such as sapphires, rubies, and diamonds. Different women prefer different metals when they buy a wedding ring. Metals are available in all price ranges and kinds.
Some of the common metals used in making wedding rings are gold, platinum, silver, tungsten, titanium, and palladium. Some women also choose non-metal materials like silicone and wood for their wedding rings. Every metal has benefits and drawbacks. In this blog, we will discuss the pros and cons of each metal.
Popular Metals in Making Wedding Rings with Pros and Cons
Many pure and artificial metals are used in making engagement rings. Every metal has benefits and drawbacks. Have a look at the different metals used for making wedding rings with their pros and cons:
The most popular metal used in designing wedding rings is Gold. It is one of the favorite metals of women in wedding rings. It is available in various kinds such as white gold, Rose gold, and yellow gold. These days, the trend of buying Rose gold ruby rings is seen in many young women.
Gold is available in different carats such as 18K, 24K, and so on. Some rings are made of pure gold whereas some rings contain gold and other metals. Let us have a look at the pros and cons of Gold metal:
Pros of Gold
- Gold is a durable metal and does not rust, corrode, break, or get damaged due to long use, water, dust, or sun rays.
- The shine of pure gold remains good for a long time.
- It is easy to clean a gold ring with a wet or dry cloth and raw cotton.
- White gold rings are available at affordable prices.
- It is easy to shape gold in different sizes for making various jewelry pieces.
Cons of Gold Metal
- Gold is prone to scratches when it is hit by tough objects and things.
- White gold is not durable and gets damaged soon.
- You will need to polish white gold rings every month to maintain their polish.
The next popular metal after gold is platinum. Couples prefer buying platinum rings over other kinds of metal. Platinum is a symbol of richness and luxury. It is one of the rarest metals found in the earth’s crust.
The appearance of platinum is similar to silver but this metal is different from silver in various ways. You can take care of platinum rings easily at home.
Pros of Platinum
- Platinum has a better appearance than other kinds of metals.
- It is pure and does not include any kind of metal.
- You do not need to plate platinum again as it has high-quality color.
- Platinum is more durable than other metals.
- It can withstand heat and cold as well.
- This costly metal does not cause any skin allergies, infection, inflammation, or redness.
Cons of Platinum
- Platinum is a very costly metal.
- It is very scarce in the crust of the earth.
- Many people cannot buy platinum rings as it is out of budget
Another popular metal used in making wedding rings is silver. It has many benefits over other kinds of metals. Silver comes in different types such as pure silver, sterling silver, and so on.
You can get various designs in silver rings from online sites. Silver has a unique shine and beautiful shade that makes jewelry look attractive.
Pros of Silver Metal
- Silver has an appearance like Platinum metal. You can get silver rings, earrings, and other pieces of jewelry at affordable rates.
- You do not have to spend money to maintain silver metal as it can be maintained easily at home.
- Silver metal is more durable than other kinds of metal.
- Silver rings do not cause redness, allergies, or inflammation.
- Silver metal does not break or rust due to water, sunrays, or dust.
Cons of Silver
- Silver metal is very tough and cannot be shaped easily. It requires a lot of effort to shape silver into rings, earrings, and necklaces.
- Silver scratches easily and so you must protect your silver jewelry properly.
- The shine of silver might fade with time and use.
The next popular metal on the list is Tungsten. It is available in different shades such as white, grey, and black. Tungsten rings are found in many jewelry stores today. Apart from that, you can also get amazing tungsten rings from online jewelry stores.
Tungsten metal is heavier than other metal types. It is used for making wedding rings for both males and females.
Pros of Tungsten Metal
- Tungsten is one of the hardest metals on the Mohs scale.
- It does not scratch or gets damaged due to use or water.
- You can wear tungsten rings daily because it is a hard metal.
- This metal comes in different colors.
Cons of Tungsten Metal
- Tungsten metal is very brittle and you must take care of this metal properly.
- This metal is tough to resize because it is very hard.
Titanium is similar to tungsten metal in several ways. You can get various designs in titanium rings today in stores. Titanium metal is not very durable but it is sold at an affordable rate.
Many couples choose titanium rings for weddings and engagements because of their various benefits.
Pros of Titanium
- Titanium metal is available in different colors.
- It is a lightweight metal and comfortable to wear.
- It is an affordable metal.
Cons of Titanium Metal
- Titanium metal cannot be resized easily.
- It is not heavy and gets damaged due to use or hit.
These are different kinds of metals used in making various wedding rings. These metals are widely available in different colors and varieties. You can get different designs in wedding rings of these metals.
You can talk to your jewelry designer before buying a wedding ring. These wedding rings are also available in various customized designs.