Jamaica is a Caribbean island with reef-lined beaches, rainforests and mountains. When it comes to their popular staples and fruits, many Jamaican households enjoy bananas and plantains. According to an estimate, 90 per cent of Jamaican families consume these fruits, making them important crops to cultivate in terms of the national food security of Jamaica. Out of these two popular fruits, traditional Jamaican snacks are made. You can attain the flavours of this Caribbean island by looking out for Jamaican snacks online. Whether it is having a movie night at home with your friends or a big game, the banana and plantain chips are a great alternative to any other snack. So, why must you munch on them? You can read on and learn the various benefits of banana chips and plantain chips.
What are the benefits of banana chips?
Snacking is always an excellent idea, especially if it is banana chips. When it comes to this Jamaican made snack, you can either add them with your granola or breakfast oatmeal. Although some chips are unhealthy, you can look for healthy alternatives that are cholesterol-free and lightly salted. So, to know the benefits, you can read on and learn about them.
- A powerhouse of potassium: Due to the potassium content of the bananas, they have a great health reputation. Banana chips can provide you with potassium depending upon the servings. Generally, each serving supplies 5 per cent of the potassium or 225 milligrams of potassium. This potassium provides different health benefits like blood pressure and muscle lowering properties and support for the nerves.
- Carbs and calories for energy: The chips made from bananas are moderately high in calories. If you follow a standard 2000-calorie diet, a 1.5-ounce serving comprises 218 calories. It means that it is roughly 10 per cent of the everyday calorie allowance. As per the Cleveland Clinic website, the more calories a food has, the more energy it provides. According to NHS, the recommended calorie intake must be 2500 calories for men and 2000 for women.
- A great source of magnesium: Banana chips are a great source of vitamins, particularly magnesium. Your body requires magnesium for DNA synthesis, cell-to-cell communication and energy production. After all, it is important for the growth of the cell. One serving of banana chips will provide you with 32 milligrams of magnesium, which is between 8 to 10 per cent of your everyday magnesium requirement.
What are the benefits of plantain chips?
It is crucial to treat yourself to a snack. Plantain chips offer some nutritional value. Well, if you are keen to consume them, you can look for these Jamaican snacks online and get them delivered to your doorstep. Keep reading to know the nutritional value or benefits of the plantain chips.
- Vitamins A and C: Plantain chips provide you with vitamins A and C, which benefits the immune system and allow your skin to be healthy. The anti-oxidant function of vitamin C protects the tissues from damage, whereas vitamin A plays a huge role in low-light vision. One serving of these chips comprises 786 units of vitamin A and 18 milligrams of vitamin C.
- Basic nutrition information: When it comes to the standard 2000 calorie diet, plantain chips usually contain approximately 300 calories per 2-ounce serving. They offer a little amount of protein and provide abundant carbohydrates that fuel the brain, muscles, cells and tissues.
- Lower sodium: Plantain chips are one of the lower-sodium alternatives than some other chips. Since the intake of high sodium contributes to stroke, high blood pressure, and kidney damage, limiting the sodium intake promotes lifelong health. Some plantain chips contain 115 milligrams of sodium, which is 8 per cent of the daily limit.